Print This Page
Stand Alone Module
Specialist Practice in Gastrointestinal Nursing
- 15 weeks
- Start Dates:
- Block or single days
- Uxbridge Campus
- Available on request
- Key Contact:
- The Enquiries Team
- 01494 603 171
Is this course suitable for me?
This module is suitable for health care professionals who are involved in management and care for people in a gastrointestinal care environment.
This module aims to develop and further your systematic understanding and application of specialist knowledge required to support and care for people with gastrointestinal disorders. The course aims to provide the theoretical underpinnings to extend the depth of your knowledge and clinical skills and enable you to critically review and advance your specialist practice of interest. Two days will explore specialist practice and four days will explore the specialist area of your choice, stoma care, colorectal care, IBD, clinical nutrition, endoscopy or bowel dysfunction.
This module will explore:
- the key concepts of specialist practice in relation to gastrointestinal nursing
- issues relating to audit, quality and business planning, legal, ethical and professional issues and managing all aspects of a clinical service demonstrating leadership by acting as a role model for those caring for people with GI disorders
- the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to provide individual care for people with gastrointestinal disorders
- the challenges of chronic illness management, and propose ways in which these might be met through inter-professional practice
- further developments of specialist practice, through the generation of guidelines and protocols for gastrointestinal specialist service delivery
- assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care of patients with gastrointestinal disorders
- health education strategies for people with gastrointestinal disorders
- the more complex situations related to the sphere of gastrointestinal nursing.
What will I learn?
On successful completion of the module, you will be able to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the challenges of managing patients with gastrointestinal disorders
- identify key concepts of the role of the Specialist Nurse in Gastrointestinal Nursing and evaluate their integration into advanced nursing practice.
- apply an in-depth knowledge of the impact that the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal.
- critically apply knowledge and skills of the Gastrointestinal Advanced Practitioner to optimise personal, professional and service development
- critically analyse the practitioner’s role in the initiation, development and facilitation of therapeutic relationships between patients with gastrointestinal disorders, their families and other allied health care professionals.
Teaching and learning
This module will consist of a variety of teaching and learning strategies relevant to the broad ranging and complex nature of the subject material. This will therefore include taught lectures, student–led seminars, group work, discussion and debate, web -based learning, use of audio visual aids.
You will be encouraged to share and reflect on practice and management decisions based on clinical situations. Networking and exploration of wider critical care forums will also be promoted.
- Registered professional qualification (e.g. nursing)
- 60 level 6 credits (or equivalent)
- Minimum six months experience in a relevant practice area
How to make an application
Please contact the Enquiries Team on 01494 603 171 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope to have a fully on-line application system shortly, but in the meantime, to apply for a course, please download and print these forms, completing them fully and posting back to the address below.
- Course_Enquiry_Letter (70.4 KB)
- Application_form (58.1 KB)
- Notes_for_Guidance (51.6 KB)
- Fee_Authoristaion_Form (61.1 KB)
- Academic_Reference_Form (50.6 KB)
- Clinical_Reference_Form (57.2 KB)
If you are unable to view the forms, please click here to download a free version of adobe reader.
Alternatively, if you call us on 01494 603 171 or email email@example.com we can post you a hard copy application pack.
Students funded by the NHS or other employer
If the cost of your course is being funded by your employer, please contact your education lead or manager for guidance as to how they would prefer you to make an application.